Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2:16, #320: End of the Year News

I'm currently reading, among other books, A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes. It seems that "most professing evangelicals" actually don't believe in original sin. Now it doesn't surprise me that the "wider culture"...that would be about 270 million non-evangelicals...are in agreement with the supposed sheep in their assessment of the human condition. Note I say "supposed sheep," knowing that as John 6:66 says, "As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew, and were not walking with Him anymore." Oh...this reaction on the part of "disciples" was a result from Jesus' Redneck Carpenter sentence in vs. 65: "And He was saying, 'For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me, unless it has been granted him from the Father.'" Kinda narrow minded, but as the Son of God He can afford to be since He's right!

I think the thing that ticked me off more than the fact that "professing evangelicals" deny original sin is that the author of the article writes, "I leave it to the reader to evaluate this gloomy appraisal...American Christianity may actually be worse than that of the medieval church." What burns me up is that there is NOT ONE STINKING MENTION OF PRAYER BY THE GUY for true revival of the Church!! I suppose that would be outside the world view of a scholar.

Last year at this time I gave you the Perfect New Year's Resolution..."I RESOLVE never to make another New Year's Resolution!" I'm reporting in that I've KEPT that resolution all 366 days this year! Now I'm not asking you to resolve to pray for the American Church. I'm asking you to actually do it!
Got knee pads?

Source: Hall, David W. & Peter A. Lillback, Editors. A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes. Michael S. Horton, "A Shattered Vase: The Tragedy of Sin in Calvin's Thought." P & R Publishers, Phillipsburg, New Jersey, 2008.

No comments: