Wednesday, July 2, 2008

#179: Gettysburg, Day 2

Today is the 145th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg that began on July 1. (I was just too busy to post yesterday, so I didn't comment on it.) Today's portion of the Battle took place in the Wheat Field, Peach Orchard, and Devil's Den and further depleted Lee's human resources without gaining any ground of significance.
The interesting tidbit about this portion of the battlefield is that the area around the Trostle Farm had been used in the 1840s and 50s to host campground meetings where Evangelicals preached the gospel to those who gathered. I wonder how many folks who were told to "prepare to meet your God" at the camp meetings actually DID on that part of the battlefield, like General William Barksdale of Mississippi who was mortally wounded as this account tells, "Late that evening a detail from the 14th Vermont Infantry discovered Barksdale and carried him to a Union hospital where his wounds were pronounced mortal. 'I have never regretted the steps I have taken,' he told one of his rescuers. 'I do not regret my steps now, although it is hard to leave friends, wife and children. I do not regret giving my life in a cause that I believe to be right. May God watch over and care for my dear wife, and oh, my boys...may God be a father to them.'" (1)
Wonder how his last prayer was answered?

Source: National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior, “Gettysburg”. [http://www.nps.gov/ gett/getttour/tstops/tstd2‑14.htm] [cited 10/1/04]

No comments: