Friday, July 11, 2008

#188: Proverbs and Then Some

I'm down in the bowels of the Big House enjoying some of the vacation time I've got left over from this past fiscal year. The problem is, as my long time friend Fr. Stephen's post of June 30th says [http://frstephenlourie.blogspot.com/], work is a good thing for which we were designed, so it rubs my grain a bit to not be doing some of the stuff around here that is crying out for attention. I DO, however, have the side of me that says I've got the chance to rest and relax, and even Jesus took a break occasionally, so maybe I'd better just do it.

The good news is that I can check out folks on Facebook, look over different blog sites to see what's cooking in people's minds, and even do a little pontificating on my own in a self-indulgent sort of way. When all is said and done, the bottom line is Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction." One "scheme of the devil that comes at you from behind" as the old Puritans used to say is Christian busy-ness. I've seen so many folks recently working themselves into a near-frenzy "doing ministry"...a phrase I'm not too thrilled with because it's a justification on one hand for people to justify their workaholic sin nature and on the other hand for fellow Christians to work them to death in what amounts to a big time guilt trip. Sometimes I think I see the Lord sitting on His throne drumming his fingers with his head resting on his other fist wondering just when His sheep are going to wise up. But, hey, that's the way my mind works.

Guess I'll wrap for now. Take five minutes to simply sit in front of the Lord to see what He might show you...but turn your cell phone off first!
Got that?

No comments: