Friday, July 25, 2008

#200:Zucchini Feng Shui and Water Melon Rising


I've often said that the day before the Fall Adam was a gardener and the day after the Fall he was a maintenance man. Much of my life as a dirt person is trying to get back to a pre-Fall state of things here at Camp Cornelius while spraying the ever present screeching steel wheels required by the maintenance of the place. Today I was able to rejoice in the Lord's good provisions down at The Garden when I glanced over at it during the usual Friday trash run to dispose of all the leftovers folks leave in plastic bags and other receptacles.

According to my questioning of The Cook, the zucchini has had a perfect combination of feng (wind) and shui (water) so that it's ripe for the picking. It's also going to make a great jigsaw puzzle on Puzzle Bee application of Facebook when I get around to it. The watermelon on the right is "rising" to its finished length in perhaps a week or three. Currently it's about the size of a Nerf football, so definitely has not gotten enough feng shui yet. The good news is that it will be just about the right size to celebrate the homecoming of my young'uns from various places on Earth That Is. (Tip of the hat, as usual, to "Serenity.")

I am reminded of the last verse of Jonah as I contemplate the success my garden is having right now as I listen to...yes, yes...my "Feng Shui" cd, considering this is the first time ever I've planted watermelon, zucchini, and cucumbers; the last of which I need to check when I go pick the zook in several minutes. In any event, Jonah 4:11 says, "And should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?" These days, in spite of not really knowing what I'm doing with the garden, I know my right hand from my left...the left's the one with the stitched up thumb that's growing back to some semblance of normality.

Noon is just about upon me, my belly's growling, and I've got to go pick some veggies.
Got salad dressing?

No comments: