Tuesday, July 15, 2008

#191: Roller Coaster Jesus

This morning I was musing on Psalm 139 while munching a nanny and awaiting Boca Java's Brew of Bravery perking in the old coffee pot and had another epiphany. In verse 5 it says, "You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me." In the New International Version, it says, "You hem me in-- behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me."

Well, that gave me a picture of how the steel and plastic harness clamps down on you when you're on some of the high-powered new rides that are FAR AND AWAY safer than driving in your automobile. Imagine having Jesus' omnipotent hand wrapped firmly around you on this roller coaster ride of life...the track of which is already written in His book as verse 16 says...and you can get a glimpse of the divine reality in which you find yourself, if you, in fact know Him as your Savior and Lord. I dissipated one of my young'un's fear of the speed of roller coasters the day we went to Hershey Park by explaining that you have to become one with the ride and see yourself as one of the archangels of "Reign of Fire" after they jump out of the helicopter to take down the dragon. Well, first of all, if you haven't seen the movie...see it and then get back to this post! Secondly, remember that, as a Christian, part of your job description is to TAKE DOWN THE DRAGON who conned Adam and Eve into this fallen roller coaster of life in the first place "back in the day" of Edenic lunchtime fruit salad.

How can I get you to see your unbelievably privileged and protected position except to quote Isaiah 41:10, "Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
Got the point?

No comments: