Thursday, July 24, 2008

#199: Waiting

I heard a statistic back in my college days that you spend 20 years of your life waiting if you live to be 60. I joked with the guy who was also waiting for his girl friend at the time that he and I were upping the average a bit.
Well, what are you awaiting? I know two VERY pregnant women who are waiting to give birth. I know some young folks who are waiting for older folks to quit acting like morons so the younger ones can get on with their lives. I know a couple of old codgers who are waiting for the Grim Reaper to arrive in a chariot of fire to take them to their rooms in the Heavenly Mansions...one believes the painting is yet to be done, obviously, and can't get there to do it himself! (I wonder if they use latex or oil base paint in Heaven?) I'm currently waiting for the nail on my left thumb to grow out to see if it's going to be ok or malformed for the rest of my life...assuming I don't hack at it again with a sledge hammer and/or some sharper object than an aluminum storm door edge.

ALL of you have spent time waiting for your stupid computer to do what you want it to do because you have cheese in it (see Post #105) or your server connection has decided to host a gremlin party and will be temporarily out of service. Or maybe some moron computer geek has decided to work on the website you're trying to access RIGHT AT THE PEAK USE TIME! Some of you just don't know what you're waiting for but are resigned to see what happens, bordering on despair if you have no clear goal or hope in mind.

Let me leave you with Isaiah 40:30-31, something you've no doubt seen inscribed on a poster with some majestic eagle in the Jesus Junk section of any Christian bookstore (hence the screaming eagle that's on one of my tee shirts as today's picture). "Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary."
Got renewed hope?

No comments: