Tuesday, July 22, 2008

#197: Tell Tale Verses

I just finished reading John Adams by David McCullough Sunday and thought that you can tell a lot about a person by the things he concludes are important; especially those that have been written down in the past. Adams wrote to his granddaughter, "'You are not singular in your suspicions that you know but little,' he had told Caroline, in response to her quandary over the riddles of life. 'The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know....Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough....So questions and so answers your affectionate grandfather.'"
That six word summary/instruction for life is a shortened quote of Micah 6:8, "He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" McCullough sums up Adams' life with this: "His faith in God and the hereafter remained unshaken. His fundamental creed, he had reduced to a single sentence: 'He who loves the Workman and his work, and does what he can to preserve and improve it, shall be accepted of Him.'"

I think I have to agree with Mr. Adams. I think I'll add Matthew 6: 33, 34 to the mix for some good day to day advice to my granddaughters and anyone else willing to listen: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Consider asking your friends what their favorite verses might be and jot their names in the margin of your Bible next to those passages for future reference and prayer reminders! I've been doing it for 28 years and have never regretted it.
Got one for me to put down?

No comments: