Saturday, July 19, 2008

#194: Beer Theology

About 25 years ago, an 80-something saint who was one of the most godly women I've had the pleasure to meet asked me if she drank a glass of beer, could she lose her salvation? Fortunately, I didn't laugh in her face or rant and rave like some predestination-passage-quoting maniac at the ill-conceived notion, but showed her Romans 8:38-39, "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." She had been taught by men who said that Jesus won't throw you out of His hand, and Satan can't snatch you from His hand, but you have the free-will choice to jump out of his hand... a theology know as Arminianism that directly opposes Calvinism...and, by the way is PURE BULL CHIPS!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, I'm ranting.)

I went on to explain that her "free will" is part of the category "any other created thing" because she, in fact, was created, so her will must be, too. (A simple logic argument from the greater to the lesser.) I also suggested from several other Scriptures that we Christians don't have "free" will but a "freed" will so we don't HAVE to sin anymore as we did while "dead in our trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1). The problem is that we choose to sin..."I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13) but I WON'T do all things through Him necessarily.

Well, before I get too cranked up and pontificate for six hours like Paul did so that Eutychus fell out the window (Acts 20:9-12), I'll just give you some of the words from "You Have Broken the Chains" by Jamie Owens-Collins that I've got crankin' at the moment, reminding those of you with addictive personalities NOT to drink beer, wine or liquor if you can't handle it:

You have broken the chains
That held our captive souls
You have broken the chains
And used them on Your foes.
All Your enemies are bound
They tremble at the sound of Your name
Jesus, You have broken the chains.

Got beverage of choice for a glorious toast to the Living and True God?!!

No comments: