Wednesday, July 9, 2008

#186: Cogito Ergo Sum et Blog Ad Nauseum

Didja ever have some stray thought come flying into your head from outta the blue? Well, this morning "cogito ergo sum" hit me while I was in the midst of my inner room readings. I just Googled the phrase and it means "I think, therefore I am." Old Rene Descartes came up with this idea to prove that the guy thinking it must exist because he was thinking! I've added the tail end of the title as the logical extension of this thought as well as a commentary on this and every other blog site that exists, showing that not only am I alive, but you must be, too, because you're reading this! Gee, a July 9 two-fer-the-price-of-one deal!!

Now, this thought occurred while I was reading an interesting bit of Old Guy advice from some Scot in the 1820s to a guy named Alexander Duff on the subject of marriage in today's entry in One Year Book of Christian History. Here's what that Old Guy said to Duff, "Well...my advice to you is, be quietly on the look-out [for a wife]; and if, in God's providence, you make the acquaintance of one of the daughters of Zion, traversing like yourself, the wilderness of this world, her face set thitherward, get into friendly converse with her. If you find that in mind, in heart, in temper and disposition, you congenialise, and if God puts it into her heart to be willing to forsake father and mother and cast in her lot with you, regard it as a token from the God of providence that you should use the proper means to secure her Christian society."

I think the Old Guy had a good point for Christian singles (both male and female) of this day and age who are weeping, wailing, and gnashing their teeth over their marital future; especially considering that I've prayed Matthew 6:33, 34 for them as a group since 8/3/88. That would be, "keep them seeking You, then pair up the ones who need each other, Lord!"

Cogito ergo sum content in whatever circumstances?

No comments: