Saturday, July 12, 2008

#189: Bacon and Egg Theology

The Cook promised omelets for breakfast when we were discussing today last night, so at about 5am this morning I had another one of my epiphanies as I often do. Decades ago I heard an illustration about commitment to a cause in light of chickens and pigs, that I'll reinterpret a bit as I am wont to do. When it comes to a breakfast of bacon and eggs, a chicken is willing to "lay an egg" or two that might be embarrassing and sacrifices its children, but a pig gives his life for the meal! Right at this moment, Queen is cranked on my music box with the song, "I Want It All." Howcome we aint never heard this tune at missions conferences where English is the native tongue?!! (OK, the source of the song would cause most folks to freak out.) These guys, in their own totally depraved, fallen way have reflected a Biblical truth about the Living and True God Himself without even realizing it and the Lord's just been waiting for me to clue you in in His own good time!

When Jesus called the disciples He didn't mess around with "seeker services," missions conferences, or any other Christian doo-dahs. He simply looked at His boys and said, "Follow Me!" And He wasn't messin' around with half-hearted egg-laying! He wanted Whole Hog Commitment and He wanted It All...and Now. Check out these lyrics from a God-ward point of view with my chosen bit of editing:

Listen all you people, come gather round
I got...me a game plan, gotta shake you to the ground
Just give me what I know is mine...
I´m a man with a one track mind,
So much to do in one life time (people do you hear me)
Not a man for compromise and where´s and why´s and living lies
So I´m living it all, yes I´m living it all,
And I´m giving it all, and I´m giving it all...

Can you say Sermon on the Mount with a proclamation of Messianic Intention stressing His Sovereignty and Sacrificial Propitiation? NO? How about "I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW?!!"

Source of lyrics: [http://www.mp3lyrics.org/q/queen/i-want-it-all/]

No comments: