Saturday, August 9, 2008

#216: Saturday Speculations

I love Dictionary.com that also functions as a thesaurus. I wanted to alliterate for today's post title, so I simply "sought and found," as Matthew 7: 7-8 says, a word that means "thoughts" and begins with the letter "s." (Yes, Bert, Ernie and Big Bird are in the wings of the stage of my mind prompting that "today's letter is 'S.'")

I'm reading through Proverbs these days and have some of my marginal comments to share based on some of the verses. They will be in no particular order nor logical sequence...so what else is new?!!

Proverbs 18:2, "A fool does not delight in understanding, But only in revealing his own mind" seems to me to be the description of most Talk Radio I've tuned into; especially the call in shows that actually raise my blood pressure if I hear them while driving to the doctor's for blood work.

Proverbs 17:11, "A rebellious man seeks only evil, So a cruel messenger will be sent against him" describes God's judgment on the Christians like Robert Barnwell Rhett of the Confederate States of America who were directly responsible for the War when He sent Union General Uncle Billy Sherman and 90,000+ Yankees through the South on his March to the Sea.

Proverbs 16:7, "When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him" was the reason that Federal troops during the Civil War actually cheered when Confederate General Stonewall Jackson rode by outposts during times of truce.

Well...for now...that will do.

No comments: