Saturday, August 16, 2008

#221: Table Talk

OK...so it aint gonna be Martin Luther's famous words over beer and sauerkraut, but the title gives me a chance to exhibit my carpenter's handiwork...my Platonic vision of a table better known as the one I built for sorting laundry at the Grey Havens. Yeah, I know, even with the flash working, it's not such a hot picture...so sue me or click on it to see it in full screen size. Or...send me a higher tech camera for any unbirthday you want between now and November 15th!! ;)

The title also stems from what I read yesterday and today in Proverbs 23:1-3, "When you sit down to dine with a ruler, Consider carefully what is before you; And put a knife to your throat, If you are a man of great appetite. Do not desire his delicacies, For it is deceptive food." As I munched on my Cheerios I thought that this is an interesting opposite to all the admonitions throughout the Bible to dine with The Ruler Who says in Isaiah 55:1 "Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost."

Then there are the passages where Jesus describes Himself as the Bread of Life and later on the promise spoken of as the Marriage Feast of the Lamb to which I've referred occasionally among these posts. (#39, 121, 131, 141, 158, 175, &195 to be specific.) I think it's significant that the One who calls Himself the Bread of Life was born in Beth-lehem (Hebrew words for "house of bread") and was placed in a feed trough (manger) at His birth. Seems rather a providential coincidence, if you ask me...as I often point out to new Hebrew classes here at Camp Cornelius!

Once again, that's it for now. Oh, if you need a reason to throw a party tomorrow, just in case I'm doing something else and don't post anything, feel free to celebrate the 28th anniversary of my rebirth on August 17, 1980. Belly up to a table and chow down!! OOORAH, OOORAH!!

No comments: