Friday, March 14, 2008

#89: DON'T READ THE LABELS!!!!!

The other night at the Grey Havens we had a tasty dessert...Mochi. It was green tea ice cream lumps, for lack of better terminology. I read the ingredients...MY BAD!! Propylene glycol was one of the ingredients. I remarked that I thought that was the ingredient in antifreeze...MY BAD AGAIN!! (Antifreeze is ETHYLENE glycol, not Propylene.)
However, I looked at a can of white latex paint this morning...YEPPER...propylene glycol is the last ingredient!!
Back In The Day (in this case 16 human years or 2.28 dog years), I was standing around waiting for coffee to brew while I was painting the office in which it was located and made the mistake of reading the label on a carton of creamer. (Don't remember which brand.) THAT label had titanium dioxide as one of the ingredients...YEPPER, the second ingredient in that can of white paint I was using!! Today's creamer contributions are two: one contains sodium casenate, dipotassium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, and soduim stearoyl lactylate...some of my favorite flavors!! Item #2 contains sodium citrate, datem, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, and the ever present carrageenan. (I think some enterprising young couple should name a baby girl Carrageenan, especially if there's some Celtic bloodlines involved...just a thought!!)

Then there was the time I read the can of orange soda I was drinking...ester of wood resin was my favorite ingredient there...YEPPER, TREE SAP!!

I also noticed that one cracker box contained 2% or less of ammonium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate, sodium sulfite, and malted cereal syrup. (I guess they figure you're gonna need help with your stomach, so they put the bicarbonates in there to save you time mixing up bicarbonate of soda later!)

Oh, yeah...just what exactly are "natural flavors" that I see on so many packages? WHICH ONES? Eye of Newt? Toe of Frog? Wing of Bat? Hair of Dog?

Got Three Witches cookin' supper?

No comments: