Friday, March 21, 2008

#94:Redneck Good Friday

Well, 1,975 years ago Jesus showed up for work on Friday and had what could be considered the worst "day at the office" in world history. After all, going from being Perfect to becoming sin on our behalf ain't exactly my idea of a pleasant day's occupation. It WAS, however, a Good Day's Work; perhaps why we call it Good Friday, among other reasons. (If anyone knows when the name first stuck, please drop me a line.)
Well, it just so happens that I had the chance to tell a guy yesterday while on the roof of our library that Jesus, being God, saw that mankind could not save itself, so in light of the adage, "if you want something done right, do it yourself"...He DID! I even got to mention that in good redneck, no-nonsense carpenter fashion, He said of Himself, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. Nobody comes to the Father but through Me."

I even pointed out that John 3:16-18, the verse he'd probably seen on banners at football games on occasion was the Gospel so many folks talk about and then quoted it to him with what I thought was the proper emphasis and pauses.

Why do I mention all this? Well, you never know what a day will bring, so be prepared to give account of your hope, as it says somewhere in Peter, I think, when someone actually asks if he can pick your brains. Captain Audio Visual tells me Mel Gibson's "The Passion" is our movie fare for tonight; which will probably become a Grey Havens tradition, if I know us. We've seen it once, but it certainly brings home the gruesome day at work Jesus had on Friday in preparation for a resounding Sunday Resurrection Day!

Got hope and a smile?

No comments: