Monday, March 31, 2008

#103: Heckyu, Not Haiku

Geez, I went to a "Coffee House" Saturday to hear a couple of guys play (made me drift back to my freshman year at Muhlenberg with a place of the same name with smoke, cigarette butts in the ashtrays, and coffee of undetermined origin), I'm listening to "The Weight" by The Band (another stroll back to 1969 college days/daze), I just now looked over prayer journal #69 for some other reason, and ran across some poetry I wrote a while back. Part of my high school English training was being forced to write haikus as we studied different kinds of poetry. Well, even before I came to faith, I had some knowledge of Scripture and wrote this in 1967 (12 years before the movie of similar name came out):

Conquest, Slaughter, Famine, Death--
Apocalypse Now!

Haiku afficionados would probably jump all over me for structure and/or content, but, hey, the 'rules' seem to vary on whoever's making them up, so I'm going with "free form" as I learned it. Maybe I should call what I do Heckyu as a result of my rebellious thinking?!! By the way, a 7-5 syllable meter was what I learned 'back in the day' as young folks are wont to say!! Here's a few just cuz I feel like it:
World History's Turning Point--
Christ's Resurrection. --11/11/06

Water, stem, basket, coffee--
My morning routine. --11/7/06

Christ's Gospel strained through cheesecloth--
Christian Platitudes. --11/4/06

Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego--
On fire for God! --10/29/06

Well, there's more, but let's not push this post too far or we may have to dig a hole in which to put it.
Got postholer? (Tip of the hat to River Tam of "Firefly")

No comments: