Saturday, January 31, 2009

2:46, #350: Evaporated Milk and Earthquakes

Last year's post of this day was #54: Solomonic BBQ where I discussed one use of cows "back in the day." Today back in 1851 (100 years prior to my shuffling onto this mortal coil) Gail Borden, a committed Christian, announced the invention of evaporated milk. I thought this was an excellent coincidence in the providence of God that I had this fact noted in my One Year Book of Christian History margins from "Today In History" given yesterday's post of Moo-y Bible Institute. Since Borden's milk was used widely during the Civil War, I wonder how many Moo-y graduates contributed to the War effort?!! ;p (I love the phrase "public domain" when I'm looking up pictures!!)

It was Carnation Company that came up with the phrase "milk from contented cows" in 1907...Danggit, I was looking for a direct connection...but, hey, I figger they might also have attended Moo-y U. and "learned to be content in whatever circumstances they were" as Paul writes in Philippians 4:11.

Now, in another one of those providential coincidences, my marginal notes noted that on this day in 1906 the strongest instrumentally recorded earthquake occurred in Colombia, measuring a whopping 8.6 on the Richter scale. (I'm guessing the phrase in "Today in History" means ever!) Well, Charlie Spurgeon's comments were encouraging Christians not to fear in his devotional, Beside Still Waters: Words of Comfort for the Soul (didja get your copy yet?), and included pointing out Job 9:5-6, "It is God who removes the mountains, they know not how, When He overturns them in His anger; Who shakes the earth out of its place, And its pillars tremble..." Plate tectonics have been around for about 6,000 years...oh, it happens to be the year 5769 on the Jewish Calendar for you Old Earthers and Young Earthers alike...just thought you should know. The point? You, too, can be contented even in the midst of earthquakes, literal or metaphysical, if you're held in the palm of His righteous right hand.

So, jump out of the helicopter, forget the 17-second survival rule, and BRING DOWN THE DRAGON!!! (You mean you haven't seen "Reign of Fire" yet?) ;p

No comments: