Saturday, March 7, 2009

2:74, #378: I Have Dirt In My Blood

No...this is not a declaration of some hematological imperfection that will bring about some medical emergency or my immediate demise. This is an ontological/metaphysical declaration that I am created in the image of God as a descendant of the Original Dirtball!! I'm certain that the Lord used "good dirt" in Genesis 2:7 when He, "...formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." Why am I sure of that? Because God's own assessment of His handiwork...Oh, when he simply spoke things into being, was that his "Wordiwork?"...I feel another post coming on...was that "it was very good." When all else fails, state the obvious, I often say!!

Now, for those of you who are not Dirt People...defined as folks who actually enjoy getting their hands and other parts soiled with working in the garden, doing landscaping, tilling the earth like most Hobbits..."good" dirt is that which contains the nutrients in which plant life will thrive. No, that was not from Dictionary.com, but yours truly. And for the moment, I'm speaking horticulturally only. Good dirt may look like nothing particularly special, but for six years it will support the plant life you want to grow in it without adding fertilizer...in a diminishing way, of course, as the nutrients are used up on a certain ground plot. Hmmm...a ground plot might be a Conspiracy Theorist's phrase for Satan's nastiness once he hit the earth after being chucked out of heaven in the First Civil War...but I digress!

Holy Fertilizer, Batman! I just realized that one of my most-repeated Bob-isms has not made it to the list on this site! Here I am discussing dirt in my blood, gardening, and all that and I've yet to mention that "The day before The Fall, Adam was a Gardener. The day after The Fall, he was a Maintenance Man!" There's my job description in a nutshell, inherited from Adam through a long line of progenitors. Interestingly enough, I get paid to be Camp Cornelius Maintenance Guy AND Gardener Guy when I'm doing all the fun things outside I do to make my 17 acres horticulturally happy. Vegetable gardening is a labor of love, I guess, and the Lord certainly does not let Love's Labor get Lost because He provides me with abundant foodstuffs from dirt, seeds, sun, water, and air...nice Feng Shui in a post-Edenic, Van Tillian sort of Tao!! ;p

Got zucchini?

No comments: