Saturday, March 14, 2009

2:82, #386: Revivals and Wars

One of the books I'm reading these days is Selwyn Hughes' devotional, Every Day Light. I'm in the section on revivals and his take on the pros and cons of them. As I'm typing my hand written prayer journals into my computer, I see that the first recorded time I requested nationwide revival of the American Church was January 23, 1983.

I've begun to observe an historical pattern that may even prompt me to do research for another book, titled something like God Caused The Church To Get Off Its Butt, or something like that. In any event, there was Pentecost, which Hughes says was the pattern for all revivals. After that came the various Emperors' Persecutions over the course of about 3oo years. Persecutions were wars of the Pagans vs. Christians.

When I was researching God Caused the Civil War (maybe I should change the title to God May Have Influenced the War of Southern Aggression?) I noticed that the American Revival of 1859 prepared a lot of hearts prior to the Civil War. That was the same time of revivals in the British Empire that had lots of "small" wars in the next 40 years.

The Great Awakening of 1730-1755 preceded the French and Indian War as well as the War of Independence. The Second Great Awakening of 1790-1840 swept America with The War of 1812, the War of Texas Independence, and preceded the Mexican War. The Third Great Awakening of 1850-1900 covered The Civil War, The Indian Wars, and the Spanish American War.

The Welsh Revivals of 1904-05 apparently fired up revivals in India, China, Korea, Africa, and America...the 1906 Azusa Street Revival in Los Angeles to be specific. World War I affected all these nations not too long after that from 1914-18.

The Jesus Movement occurred in conjunction with the Vietnam War.

Since January 23, 1983...a Sunday, by the way...we've seen Desert Storm in 1990-91, Operation Enduring Freedom began in 2001 after the 9/11 World Trade Centers bombing, and Iraqi Freedom began March 19, 2003...we're coming on the end of the 6th year of the war.
Obviously, I've got holes to fill...I might point out, however, that April 12, 2011 is the 15oth anniversary of the start of The Civil War, so we might be due. Have you noticed that Christians are not liked so much in America any more?
Got revival prayers?

No comments: