Tuesday, March 10, 2009

2:77, #381: Bricks and Other Things


I've often wondered why a missionary friend of mine would describe his wife of 40+ years as "a brick." He said it in a complimentary way, indicating that she was steadfast in her support of and love towards him, was my well-thought conclusion. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't help thinking immediately that she was "thick as a brick" (dense in the brain department) and not part of a Jethro Tull album!! Then there was the possibility that she was "built like a brick"...not exactly something that would make her leap with glee...assuming a brick could, in fact, leap.

Oh, and while I think of it...Why is it that a woman who has a fabulous figure is "built like a brick outhouse?" Is it that much more expensive to construct? Is it that it is immovable? Does the half-moon usually found on the door have anything to do with it? "The Straight Dope" website says the phrase was originally applied to powerful men, then not-attractive women, then some wiseguy applied it to a good looking lady and linguistically it stuck...kinda like the smell to the original accommodation.

I think my illustration (created in Paint, no less) that I used when I discussed the phrase Privy Council might have further use if some unwise guys address the women of their lives in an un-considered fashion using the above phrase as a compliment and have it taken the wrong way. Pilloried might be an easy way out, given how some folks might draw out the mental torment for such an affront.

No comments: